Friday, July 1, 2011

Breakthrough!

So I finally got some one-on-one with my husband to help me get focused back on the 'ol day job.  And it worked.  I do so much better when I can explain what I'm doing to someone, teach it as it were.  Well, I sat down and since my husband doesn't understand perl or MatLab, nor hydrology, all things that are the essence of my day gig, I was able to explain to him in a way that made me understand what exactly I was trying to do again.  He even inspired a revelation!

You see, the section I've been staring at, crying over, beating my head on every available surface because it just doesn't make sense.  The one I tried to brute force my way through...... it's trash, don't need it, not usable, crap! Two months of anguish into the trash file.  Cyber bits into the great bucket in the sky (as my 7th grade computer teacher always told us happened when we didn't save.)  I was able to not only nuke that, but plow through another whole section of code.

The breakthrough - "So what have you gotten done that you said was already translated?"  Going back and looking what I had already translated paved the way to moving forward again.  Ironically, I'd been looking right at the answer, but not seeing it (I was already referencing my earlier translation for variable understanding, but just didn't see it until I explained it today.)  I hope this keeps up, I have a lot to finish and they want to see something actually working (not just translated) soon!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that's good to know...that is...if I understood any of that????! I'm happy for you really...I just only know that if I turn on my computer and it works I'm happy. If it doensn't I'm not happy. Yes, my entire life revolves around whether or not the computer is working. It's sad, I know. I need a life. I'm trying to get one. That's what I'm doing right now, remember?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...